Day 8 - Hermanus

We decided to go for an early start today as the journey to Hermanus was likely to take about 5 hours.
A beautifully prepared breakfast, as always, was enjoyed in the Lairds Lodge dining room and we finally left at around 9.15.
We were heading for Mossel Bay on our way west but I have to own up and say I got the directions wrong and Jon, in his usual kindly way, did not argue when I was insistent I knew what was right! Oh dear, much grovelling required when I realised what I had done!
Anyway the trip was taking us through some amazing scenery, changing all the way from the lush green of the Garden Route into brown and scorched as we drew nearer to the Western Cape. It was also very mountainous which I hadn't realised and they desperately need some rain, today's high was 19 degrees and very pleasant for us. We arrived at the Harbour House Hotel in Hermanus and discovered yet another amazing place had been chosen for us, we loved it and on exploring the little town, we loved that too. This is THE place for whale watching as it is where whales come to breed, but we are a little early in the year and although some have been seen already I don't think we will be so lucky. Shame, it was something I really wanted to see, and we had a perfect little balcony to sit and watch too!
By chance we met the GM of our hotel as we were going to dinner across the road at The Burgundy and he insisted on walking us over and seating us in their restaurant! We were introduced to salted lamb ribs with mixed reactions, I quite liked them but Jon not so keen. The plate was pretty tho!
Off to Cape Town tomorrow.

Comments